I have been thinking about this a lot lately as my situation fluctuates. Could this be the political season when the right and proven thing to do gets done? I have a plan and here it goes:
- I would provide every non-incarcerated US Citizen an no-holes barred income of $26,000/yr for most Americans, such as those that live in our region or in Lee County, Alabama and $36,400/yr for more expensive places like most of the urban Northeast, including NYC, Boston, DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc., Silicon Valley, most of California, Chicagoland, Hawaii, South Florida, and Sea-Tac.
- This income would be free of Federal, State, and Local Income Taxes with anything above it taxed at 10% up to $100K, then 25% afterward. Medicaid would also be automatic for those at this income level with Medicare kicking in afterward up to 1.5x levels.
- This would replace SNAP, Section 8, AFDC, and in some places (not in NC/SC) direct cash welfare.
- How you spend the money or not spend it is up to you as long as it’s for legally purchasable items.
- Current DSS employees involved in the administration of these programs will be retrained to be involved in counseling, intervention, and non-bureaucratic matters.
How it paid for. OK, there are savings involved in reduced hidden social costs of doing what is done now, including criminal justice and policing. I would also raise taxes on people that can afford it but may not want to due to the “low tax conditioning” provided by the body politic. Our founding fathers wanted to keep the Church and the State separate because each has their place and is important, but do not mix well together; this also includes Biblical references that usually get twisted for means that justify ends.
Finally, it goes without saying that most people I know, including myself, are much happier with some greenbacks and change in their pocket. When you are happy, crime tends to be far from the mind. I see nothing wrong with being happy, and YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU!
When I first published this story, there was a link to it that happened to be on Medium at the time but is no longer there, so this is an entirely new story and is current.
More inspiration going forwards will come from here: